Founded by a group of elite ex-players, Player 4 Player offers guidance and support to footballers to ensure they fulfil their absolute potential both during and after their professional playing careers
London, UK – 15th October 2020:
Player 4 Player, an exciting, new player-led collective, has launched today with the mission to support current and former professional footballers in their careers on and off the pitch.
Founded by elite former players, Stiliyan Petrov, Emile Heskey, Gaizka Mendieta, Michael Johnson and Gareth Farrelly, Player 4 Player will offer guidance and support across a range of services to ensure those in the professional game can achieve their absolute potential throughout and beyond their playing careers.
The independent and impartial service will utilise the unrivalled expertise and extensive experience of its founding partners to provide personal and professional advice, tailored to the individual player and based on trust, integrity and authentic industry insight.
Player 4 Player will equip players with practical knowledge and support on issues such as career development and transition, commercial and financial advice, business planning, branding and PR, media training, education and legal advice. Across every stage of their footballing lives, this collective will help footballers to develop a sustainable pathway and a smooth transition to a future career.
Developed for players, by players, this unique platform fills a gap in the industry and provides trusted services and credible insight to promote and protect players’ careers.
Stiliyan Petrov, Celtic and Aston Villa legend and Player 4 Player Co-Founder, said:
“We’re delighted to launch Player 4 Player, a service that I wish had been available during my playing career. We will work to guide players throughout their time on the pitch and provide invaluable advice and support as they confront the inevitable ups and downs of a career in professional sport.
“Playing football at the elite level is an incredible and extremely rewarding experience but often players are unprepared for what happens when their playing career comes to an end. Player 4 Player ensures that they can look to the future with confidence.”
Emile Heskey, England and Premier League great and Player 4 Player Co-Founder, said:
“Player 4 Player will provide today’s players with a knowledgeable and trusted resource, based on our own experiences as footballers navigating the end of our careers. Often players are not encouraged to think about their lives after football - we hope we will change this and ease some of the uncertainties and stress that come with career transition.
“As a group we are here to help current and former players navigate the highs and lows of playing and transitioning into their second career. I just wish this was around for me 10 years ago because I know it could have helped me.”
Gaizka Mendieta, Spanish and European icon and Player 4 Player Co-founder, said:
“Footballers display commitment and a laser focus to remain at the highest levels of the game on a day-to-day basis. This dedication and drive to succeed can often be all consuming, and we are launching Player 4 Player to provide players with the resources and support to achieve success both on and off the pitch.
“Playing football professionally is only one stage of our lives, and we all must be prepared for what comes next by laying the foundations as we are playing. As founders, we have shared experiences with today’s players and, at heart, Player 4 Player is born out of these.”
Notes to Editors
About Player 4 Player
Player 4 Player is a player-led platform that aims to support current and former professional footballers in their careers on and off the pitch. It was founded by elite former players, Stiliyan Petrov, Emile Heskey, Gaizka Mendieta, Michael Johnson and Gareth Farrelly, along with Pedro Pinto, founder and CEO of Empower Sports, and Entrepreneur Neil Meredith in October 2020. Player 4 Player offers guidance and support across a range of services to ensure those in the professional game can achieve their absolute potential throughout and beyond their playing career. Services include career development and transition, commercial and financial advice, business planning, branding and PR, media training, education and legal advice. You can find out more by visiting www.player4player.com
Connect with Player 4 Player
Player 4 Player founders
· Stiliyan Petrov - Celtic and Aston Villa legend and Bulgaria’s most capped player with 106 international appearances. Petrov retired from football in 2013 after a battle with Leukaemia and remains a fan favourite.
· Emile Heskey - English former professional footballer who most notably played for Leicester City, Liverpool, and Aston Villa in the Premier League as well as making over 62 appearances for the England National Team. Since retirement, Heskey has been active across many areas of the football industry.
· Gaizka Mendieta - Spanish former footballer who amassed 230 appearances for Valencia before stints at FC Barcelona, Lazio, and Middlesbrough. He made 40 appearances for Spain and was twice awarded UEFA European Midfielder of the Season. Since retirement Mendieta has made his name as a pundit, ambassador and entrepreneur.
· Michael Johnson – Former Jamaica, Derby County and Birmingham City centre back. Alongside his 13 international caps for Jamaica, Johnson amassed over 550 appearances in English club football. He is a current assistant coach for the England Under 21 national team and former coach of the Guyana national team.
· Gareth Farrelly - Irish former professional footballer who most notably played for Aston Villa, Everton, and Bolton Wanderers in the Premier League. He also made 6 appearances for the Republic of Ireland. He is currently a successful Commercial Litigation and Sports Lawyer and is a member of the Football Association’s Judicial Panel among others.
For further information:
Phone: +351 933188720